How do I drain my lower unit?
Most lower units have both a drain plug and a vent plug. Note:The top plug is named a vent plug, this is sometimes mistaken for the drain / fill plug. NEVER FILL THE LOWER UNIT FROM THE TOP PLUG.
- Keep the motor straight up and down
- Place a bucket under the lower unit to catch the old oil
- Remove the bottom drain plug (use the correct size screwdriver) and set it aside
- Remove the top vent plug (again, choose the proper sized screw driver to avoid stripping the slot)
- Allow the lower unit oil to drain completely – this may take minutes or hours depending on if the oil has water mixed in (otherwise known as marshmallow fluff)